Gran Torino (2009)
Critic Consensus: Though a minor entry in Eastwood's body of work, Gran Torino is nevertheless a humorous, touching, and intriguing old-school parable.
Gran Torino Videos
Gran Torino Photos
Watch it now
as Walt Kowalski
as Father Janovich
as Mitch Kowalski
as Karen Kowalski
as Steve Kowalski
as Ashley Kowalski
as Tim Kennedy
as Barber Martin
News & Interviews for Gran Torino
Critic Reviews for Gran Torino
It is a flawed movie, vastly overwritten, with characters pointing things out that we've long worked out for ourselves. Still, the self-referentiality of Eastwood's performance ensures that Gran Torino isn't just absorbing, but also moving.
Seeing Eastwood ward off young gangsters was odd... well, but he pulled it off enough.
Though the film feels like a requiem, Kowalski's heart is still defiantly beating.
Seeing the new inclusive Clint shows an old dog can learn new tricks. But like Walt himself, I can't help but prefer Dirty Harry to Caring Clint any day.
Although the first half feels a little devoid of direction, Eastwood takes out the jump leads and kicks it into life, giving the second half of the film a better pace, vibrancy and gentle humour that makes Gran Torino worth at least one ride.
Audience Reviews for Gran Torino
Revised Monday 01.07.2019. Here's what I wrote back in 2009 when I gave this 2.5 stars: This is not Clint Eastwood's best outing, either acting or directing. Gran Torino is not hitting on all cylinders. The main problem I have with the movie is that it elevates message over story. This is one of the most artificially written and artificially delivered scripts I've seen in some time, and from experience, when that happens, it means that the good people involved have lost sight of the primary mission of the movie: to entertain. Yes, it's always nice to instruct viewers, but instruction should be a motivation that plays a lesser role. Entertainment is what we're always hoping for when we watch a movie, and if we actually learn something along the way, that's like icing on the cake. This movie is not without some entertainment value -- no Eastwood project ever is -- but it is far too message-driven at far too great a cost to any other purpose. Now today, ten years later: I watched this for the first time since I wrote what I did above. Here's what I think 10 years later: I'm a huge Eastwood fan, dating back to his bursting on the scene as the gunfighter who would never waste a single bullet by missing his target, the man with no name in A Fistful of Dollars. Over the years I've come to enjoy Eastwood at about a 90% rate. The other 10%, well, we're not here to talk about the man's political ramblings. So sticking to his acting, writing, directing, producing, and yes, even musical score composing, also including his actually playing some of that music himself, I'm a huge fan. I believe I have seen every movie with which he's ever been associated. Some are more cutting-edge than others, and those that fall on the more predictable side are still, most often, solid projects. Gran Torino is one of these. By predictable, what I mean here is that I think anyone with movie-going experience would probably be able to guess, given the details as they unfold, that the conclusion of the movie is "known" before it ends.. While we may not predict exactly what fate will befall Eastwood, the gang members, and Eastwood's Asian neighbors, we can pretty much guess that Eastwood's hard character will mellow to some extent, that he'll become a little more liberal (remember, we're not taking about Eastwood's real-life politics), and that the bad guys are going to pay somehow. Guess what? That is what happens, and we love watching it unfold to the bittersweet end, and everything revolves, of course, around that Gran Torino. That car is Eastwood, it is the working-class, it is America, it is the American veteran, it is economics and economic globalization, it is racial intolerance, and it is, to its best extent, racial harmonization. That awesome car is quite a symbol-laden one that stands at the center of a solid story with a nice cast. So: I'm bumping it up to 3.5 stars. Who knows what I'll think when I watch it 10 years from now.
Eastwood is funny but cartoonish, snarling and scowling all the time, but the problem with this film is that it clearly doesn't know if it is supposed to be taken serious or not - and what makes it all worse is certainly the awful acting from the entire cast and the lame ending.
Gran Torino Quotes
|Walt Kowalski:||Blow your head clean off.|
|Walt Kowalski:||Me, I've got a light.|
|Walt Kowalski:||I want you to turn around, go outside, comeback and don't talk about having no job, no car, no girlfriend, no future, no dick.|
|Walt Kowalski:||Shut your fucking face!|