La casa de las mil mu˝ecas (House of 1,000 Dolls) (House of a Thousand Pleasures) (House of a Thousand Dolls) Reviews
HOUSE OF 1000 DOLLS/ HOUSE OF A THOUSAND DOLLS : In any sort of a Horror movie marathon it's a near must one must at least include at least one iconic horror movie director or actor. My choice for this bill is the iconic Horror Movie Icon Vincent Price; the film of choice is one of the stars most obscure films entitled HOUSE OF 1000 DOLLS a movie so rare it has never been before released on to DVD. So how good is this near obscure low budget exotic horror thriller? Well the subject matter is White slavery and this film was produced by the same studio and producer of the notoriously BAD and totally un-politically correct, Christopher Lee starring Fu Manchu film series of the 1960's.
Yes HOUSE OF 1000 DOLLS was produced by Harry Allen Towers & Tower of London (films) the same team that thought having Christopher Lee in yellow face for FIVE BLOODY FILMS had another bright idea to have Vincent Price to be the head of a White slavery racket. What can be described as the start of a bad joke, HOUSE OF 1000 DOLLS falls down dead out of the starting gate. With that bearing in mind it's no wonder why this Obscure Oddity never made it on to DVD in the first place! For my mental sake I'm going to constantly call this film HOUSE OF 1000 DULLS instead of it proper title HOUSE OF 1000 DOLLS for a very good reason.
The events of 1000 DULLS takes place in the city of Tangier, Morocco were Doctor Armstrong and his wife run into their old friend and discover that he is looking for his kidnapped fiancÚe. The friend tracks down his fiancÚe to a mysterious white slavery brothel the House of 1000 Dolls. However he is soon killed afterwards and it's up to Doctor Armstrong to try find out what happened to him. Meanwhile a shady Nightclub owner and Magician Mandeville (Price) proved girls to the house of dolls and in the Doctor's investigation is a much larger part of the operation.
HOUSE OF 1000 DULLS is quite literally one of Price's worst films, although he appears in no more than 35% of the film. Price is enjoyable as always but as for the other 65% Price-free parts of the film are just flat out dull. As for the subject matter of White Slavery somehow I don't think in 1967 that was a huge fear for the general public unlike its dominance in the 1890's, 1900's &1910's. Aside for feeling so dull and lifeless for half of the film the other half has terrible dialogue and a 1000 flubs like " Your only A Doctor, Doctor Armstrong" and more comically the female head of the house of dolls screaming "silence" when it's quite clear that no one is speaking in that scene.
Despite the painful bad movie drawbacks (like the pre mentioned faults) the only solid reason to view any part of this film is to see Vincent Price don a magician's outfit and shoot at the main hero with a gun cane! However in an earlier scene that cane is quite that there is a blade considered in the cane when he shows it to someone else. Aside from one or two pieces of camp vale to this film overall it come across as bland and dull. And this is a film with Vincent Price and his gun cane, women in negligees and the film is shot in Tangier, Morocco sadly these elements combined don't save this dull Technicolor dud.
If I was to recommend this film to any fellow film buffs I would only suggest viewing this film on a Local Regional T.V Channel or on TCM when it appears at on at 1am, 2am or 3am if one is struggling to get some sleep. This movie is that dull and hardly entertaining in the spirit of this marathon all I can say is BOO! HOUSE OF 1000 DULLS is one Obscure oddity that gets a harsh 30% from me, (and this is for a Vincent Price Movie!).