- Total Profile Views:
- Profile Views Last 7 Days:
- Piney Woods of East Texas
- Favorite Movies:
- The Passion of Joan of Arc (La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc),The Maltese Falcon,Rebecca,The Seventh Seal,Metropolis,Throne of Blood,Wings of Desire,M,Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans,Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey,Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso),Beauty and The Beast (La Belle et la bête),Gods and Monsters,The Blue Angel (Der Blaue Engel),Wild Strawberries,Rashômon,Notorious,Rear Window,The 39 Steps,Morocco,Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior,Flesh and the Devil,Spirited Away,The Secret of Roan Inish,The Lost Weekend,Casablanca,An American in Paris,Häxan (Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages) (The Witches),Island of Lost Souls,White Zombie,Ed Wood,Excalibur,The Wizard of Oz,Monty Python and the Holy Grail,Bubba Ho-Tep,Paths of Glory,La Grande illusion (Grand Illusion),Only Angels Have Wings,King Kong,Office Space,Young Frankenstein,Sin City,Dangerous Liaisons,Alien,The Usual Suspects,The Third Man,Blade Runner,Frankenstein,Dracula,Blood Simple,White Heat,Amadeus,Little Voice,The Commitments,High Fidelity,House of Wax,The Fall of the House of Usher,Heathers,Arsenic and Old Lace,Sunset Boulevard,Monsters, Inc.,O Brother, Where Art Thou?,Monkey Business,Clerks,Raiders of the Lost Ark,Back to the Future,National Lampoon's Animal House,Some Like It Hot,Caddyshack,Breakfast at Tiffany's,...And Justice for All,Army of Darkness,Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery,Forbidden Planet,Carnival of Souls,A Christmas Carol,Clash of the Titans,Curse of the Demon,Darkman,Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid,Dreamscape,Freaks,A Fish Called Wanda,Gladiator,Still Crazy
- Favorite Actors:
- Humphrey Bogart,Cary Grant,Toshiro Mifune,Al Pacino,Giulietta Masina,Ingrid Bergman,Helen Mirren,Norma Shearer,Russell Crowe,John Cusack,Lon Chaney,Gunnar Bjornstrand,Jean Gabin,Greta Garbo,Ann Sheridan,George Sanders,Cate Blanchett,Eleanor Parker,Gloria Grahame,Orson Welles,Gene Hackman,Ray Winstone,Peter Lorre,Boris Karloff,Bela Lugosi,Derek Jacobi,Gary Oldman,Vincent Price,Gene Kelly,Marlene Dietrich,Thomas Mitchell,Alice Brady,Thelma Ritter,Samantha Morton,Joseph Cotten,Bruce Campbell,Sean Connery,Johnny Depp,Leonardo DiCaprio,Hugh Jackman,Brendan Fraser,Robert Taylor,Stewart Granger,Stephen Rea,Simon Pegg,Groucho Marx,William Powell,Myrna Loy,Paul Muni,Benicio Del Toro,Harrison Ford,Melvyn Douglas,Van Heflin,Sterling Hayden,Liam Neeson,Bill Murray
- My favorites listed above could change tomorrow, so stay tuned! The best way to get me to get me to a film is for it to depict a lifestyle, time period or situation I'm not familiar with -- in other words, true escapism. Werewolves, elves, giant bugs, knights, gladiators, samurai, 1940s detectives, 1930s mad scientists, Scandanavian religion, gay cowboys...anything I can't normally relate to, I'll watch a film about. I'm also really into bad B-movie kind of stuff -- Plan Nine From Outer Space, Curse of the Swamp Creature, Orgy of the Dead, Vampire Men of the Lost Planet, etc. I do tend to lean away from stagy Broadway-type musicals, chick flicks, teen comedies and slasher/torture-porn kind of stuff. Based on my other tastes, I should like Terry Gilliam films but, except for "Holy Grail", for some reason I don't. I also can't get into the Christopher Guest mockumentary stuff -- This is Spinal Tap, Best in Show, etc. There's just something about those people that irritates me. And I should like Peter Sellers too but once again, I just don't find him very funny, except for moments. Films I hate include Fifth Element, Event Horizon, Pink Flamingoes, the remakes of Psycho and the Thomas Crown Affair, and pretty much anything that features Tom Cruise (particularly Far and Away) or Ben Stiller (except Meet the Parents but especially There's Something About Mary) or Demi Moore (everything she's ever touched). And what in the hell is so funny about Will Ferrell? What am I missing that everybody else seems to get? My reviews are just that -- reviews. Do I like it or not, and why. I don't get into a lot of analysis about what a film means or what the director was trying to say. I am a very literal-minded person, so films with lots of allegorical or metephorical content won't float my boat unless there something else to recommend it, such as beautiful camera work, amazing performances or a solid story. My other raisons d'etre (snotty way of saying "stuff I like") include baseball, good food (Food Network is like porn to me...heheh), traveling, reading (almost entirely non-fiction), and genealogy (so far I'm Scottish, Russian, English, Irish, German, Hungarian and Chinese). Music is also very important to me...my tastes are all over the map, but I mostly listen to rock, blues, Celtic and classical. I hate the baby divas, boy bands, and "American Idol". Disco STILL sucks. NOTE: If you just joined Flixster looking for a date and have no real true love of films, please don't bother contacting me. You're wasting my time and yours. And if you haven't filled in your profile -- favorite film lists and the like -- I'm not going to accept you as a friend.